|Epithet:||"The Giant Killer"|
|Age:||27 (Kengan Ashura)|
29 (Kengan Omega)
|Ashura Debut:||Chapter 31|
Kaneda Suekichi (金田 末吉, Kaneda Suekichi; "Suekichi Kaneda"), also known as "The Giant Killer", is the affiliated fighter for Ginokuniya Bookstore in the Kengan Annihilation Tournament.
Kaneda is a goofy unassuming-looking man with straight black hair that is set in a middle parting and falls either side of his head, thin eyes that are seemingly perpetually closed and a smiling, satisfied expression that rarely leaves his face. Kaneda appears to wear traditional Japanese garments.
Kaneda has a soft, polite demeanour that hides his fiercely cunning and calculating side. From an early age, he has had a colossal thirst for strength due to his relatively weak physical constitution.
From birth Kaneda was a frail sickly child who was constantly plagued by illnesses, almost dying twice. By the time he started school, he'd had surgery four times.
Prior to entering the Kengan Annihilation Tournament, Kaneda's master (who taught him the Kujin Style) attempted to dissuade him from entering as it was no place for average people.
After being invited to the Kengan Annihilation Tournament on a whim, after meeting and going for a drink with Ohya Ken, Kaneda initially spent his time on the S.S. Kengan challenging and playing others at shogi. He defeated Okubo Naoya and Yamashita Kazuo multiple times but, upon hearing the rules that Katahara Metsudo had issued, Kaneda left and politely asked if Himuro Ryo would forfeit his place and give it to him. With Himuro refusing, the two began fighting and, despite Himuro initially having the upper hand, Kaneda eventually defeated him and took his position, breaking the man's arm in the process.
Prior to the tournament's start, Kaneda interacted with the badly injured Himuro, with the latter uplifting his spirits with his fighting words.
Soon, Kaneda represented Ginokuniya Bookstore in the Kengan Annihilation Tournament. He fought Gaolang Wongsawat in the first round but, despite putting up a fairly good fight, he ended up being defeated by the superior fighter.
Power & Abilities
Despite appearing to have little to no experience in martial arts, Kaneda has shown himself to be a capable combatant by utilising the Kujin Style and his foresight to his advantage. Kaneda is completely average in terms of physical stats: in school, he was known to have been a terrible athlete always coming last in strength tests and marathon runs and, while training himself, it took him three years to be able to bench 80kg. Despite this, Kaneda has proven to be pretty resilient, being able to continue fighting without issue even after taking several direct blows to the face, having his ribs cracked, after being struck in the chest so hard he vomited and after taking some harrowing blows from a fighter of Gaolang Wongsawat's level. However, even with his incredible mental fortitude, Kaneda's relative physical frailty is a severe limiting factor, and he would not be competitive as a fighter without his incredible ability to read his opponents.
Foresight: Using his superhuman analytical prowess to study his opponent's movements in real-time, Kaneda can gradually begin to predict his opponent's moves with sublime accuracy to the point where he is then able to exploit them using this knowledge. Kaneda was also able to correctly identify that Himuro was a Jeet Kune Do practitioner, having initially believed him to be a southpaw, after noticing Himuro's centre of gravity. When he fought Gaolang, his strategy caused him to view the match as a "shogi composition". However, the drawback to his Foresight is that it takes time for him to begin to understand and predict his opponent; he must withstand blows or barely dodge blows to begin to understand and predict, making his fighting style is unfit for the Kengan Annihilation Tounarment, since there are too many strong fighters who can put out strong heavy blows. Other than fighting, Kaneda can also achieve expert-levels in anything he can analyze: when he was in high school, three of his school experts in boxing, soccer and baseball lost to him.
Kujin Style: The Kujin Style is a classical Japanese martial art that derives its roots from battlefield combat and "kaisha kenjutsu" as its focus. As such, its hand-to-hand techniques assume that both combatants are wearing armor. The style places a heavy emphasis on taking down the opponent and finishing them off and quickly as possible; this is achieved by throwing the armored opponent off-balance using trips and throws and delivering the killing blow with a weapon. As a result, blows are only used in an extremely limited range of situations. While it is not typically suited towards unarmed combat, Kaneda's predictive abilities make its techniques effective.
- Stance of Yin-Yang Intersection: The user gets into a fighting stance assumedly in order to utilise other Kujin Style techniques to their fullest extent.
- Crescent Scythe: The user performs a Kujin Style variant of a drop sweep meant to trip and/or unbalance the opponent by sweeping away their standing leg(s).
- Falling Bucket: After slipping through his opponent's attack, Kaneda grabs the back of their head in one hand and their chin in the other before violently driving the opponent's head into the ground using the hand grabbing the opponent's chin. Kaneda used this technique to devastating effect to end his fight with Himuro Ryo.
- Lever Throw: Grabbing the opponent's punching arm into a wristlock (holding their wrist with one hand and their fist in another), the user manipulates and throws the opponent down to the ground.
- Overturning Heaven & Earth: Grabbing the opponent's punching arm into a wristlock (holding their wrist with both hands), the user utilises the opponent's punching momentum to pull on their arm and throw them overhead and smashing on to the floor.
Notes & Trivia
- As a very skilled shogi player, Kaneda's favourite piece is the Knight.
- Kaneda is remarkably skilled in every kind of board game, with the game he is most skilled at being mahjong.
- There is a running gag that Kushida Rin and Kaneda Suekichi are viewed as siblings since they keep making the same face, but they don't know about it and nobody tries to point it out.
- Kaneda is the 3rd most popular character in the series with 23,711 votes in the official popularity poll.
- He is the youngest of five children with one older brother and three older sisters.